Merry Christmas....Because That's What It Is.
Did you ever think as a child that, one day, saying "Merry Christmas" or "Season's Greetings" to a passerby or a customer on the phone would get your ass reamed out? Eeeks. The entire world is getting to be (or trying to be) too politically correct! This is how I see it:
It is Christmas - the celebration (by many) of Christ's birth. It is the reason for the hustle and bustle, the merriment and cheer, the goodwill and tidings of joy. To me, it's like spring - in the wintertime! A breath of fresh air, a stress release, a time to enjoy the company of family and friends, to celebrate!
I don't go around criticizing the holidays of other religious groups or nationalities. Every person on this earth has a right to believe whatever they so choose and celebrate the holidays they believe in. If, for example, I was walking down the street this holiday season and someone were to say to me: "Happy Hanukkah!", I wouldn't get offended! How can you? It is a greeting, a mere hope of brightening someone's day...of spreading the joy that person is feeling. If it's not something you celebrate then I think a simple "Thanks." would be sufficient, don't you agree?
We all need to be a little bit more open-minded and accepting of other people's beliefs. Not everyone in the world (or in your classroom, or your office, or on the same bus) has the same beliefs that you do. Accept it and Respect it.
Well, now that I got that out I would just like to say:
Merry Christmas!
Have a Happy Holiday and all the best in the New Year!
It is Christmas - the celebration (by many) of Christ's birth. It is the reason for the hustle and bustle, the merriment and cheer, the goodwill and tidings of joy. To me, it's like spring - in the wintertime! A breath of fresh air, a stress release, a time to enjoy the company of family and friends, to celebrate!
I don't go around criticizing the holidays of other religious groups or nationalities. Every person on this earth has a right to believe whatever they so choose and celebrate the holidays they believe in. If, for example, I was walking down the street this holiday season and someone were to say to me: "Happy Hanukkah!", I wouldn't get offended! How can you? It is a greeting, a mere hope of brightening someone's day...of spreading the joy that person is feeling. If it's not something you celebrate then I think a simple "Thanks." would be sufficient, don't you agree?
We all need to be a little bit more open-minded and accepting of other people's beliefs. Not everyone in the world (or in your classroom, or your office, or on the same bus) has the same beliefs that you do. Accept it and Respect it.
Well, now that I got that out I would just like to say:
Merry Christmas!
Have a Happy Holiday and all the best in the New Year!

1 Comments:
At Tuesday, December 27, 2005,
Allison said…
Charity, I couldn't agree more!
Post a Comment
<< Home